Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Snicker, snicker, snickerdoodles!

Snickerdoodle cookie recipe
Dr. Mykola Haydak working with a bee hive.
My grandmother, Pauline Haydak loved to bake.   One of her specialties was Honey Cookies, made with Minnesota honey.  Since my grandfather, Mykola Haydak, was Professor of Entomology and Economic Zoology at the University of Minnesota, and specialized in bees, you can understand why Minnesota honey was specified.  So far, I haven't found the recipe for honey cookies.  
Another cookie she made for us when we visited St Paul, was  Snickerdoodle Cookies.  I think that she used a Betty Crocker recipe, but I tried this recipe myself and it is really good.  
I have been told that a good snickerdoodle cookie has to be made with shortening.  This recipe is from Crisco, the shortening people.  I use turbinado sugar to top the cookies, and grind cinnamon sticks for a stronger flavor.
Click on the link for the complete recipe.

Snickerdoodle cookie recipe

Pauline Haydak 1995 at the Chicago Botanic Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment