Friday, April 24, 2015

World War One War Memorials on Chicago's North Shore: Evanston IL

Evanston, my hometown,  is one of the oldest and largest of Chicago's suburbs.  There are three War Memorials in town, one dedicated only to World War One, the others include all the Wars from the Civil War to the Viet Nam War.

St Luke's Church 1921

Evanston's oldest War Memorial is at  St Luke's Episcopal Church and was dedicated in 1921. It is the only memorial that commemorates World War One. It is also the largest memorial and is integrated into the design of the church.


A granite boulder with a bronze plaque attached  commemorates the planting of an elm tree on Armistice Day (November 11) 1921.    The tree is long gone, a victim of Dutch Elm  Disease, which killed most of Evanston's American Elm Trees.  The memorial is extensive and includes the figure of a dough boy  and a cloister displays the names of five church members who died in World War One.  It also lists the battles in which The American Expeditionary Forces participated.


The World War One Dough boy watches the courtyard below him.





The stones on the cloister are labeled with the names of  the church members who died in the War and the major battles.    











 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Patriot Park 1929

The War Memorial in Patriot Park on Evanston's Lakefront.
A memorial for all Evanston residents who died in war was installed in 1929 in Patriot Park on the lakefront.  A flagpole with a bell shaped base included the names of the people who died in the Civil War, The Spanish American War and World War One.  The memorial was erected by the Fort Dearborn Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  The bronze frieze was designed by sculptor Steven Beames in 1929.  Inscribed on the frieze is  the following phrase:

     "May the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice live forever in the Hearts of the   People."


 
The soldiers of all the wars march around the  frieze.





 
Below the frieze is a list of 41 residents of Evanston who died  in World War One.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fountain Square 1949

War Memorial in Evanston's Fountain Square, installed in 1949.
The central business district of Evanston, Fountain Square, was experiencing traffic circulation problems after World War Two. As a result, Fountain Square was redesigned and included a War Memorial.  The large granite fountain was dedicated on Armistice Day in 1949.  It was designed by architect Hubert Burnham  with three fountains  and listed all Evanstonians who died in wars from the Civil War to World War II. 

 

 

Fountain Square 1976

In honor of the Bicentennial of the United States in 1976,  Fountain Square was redesigned again.  The granite fountain was removed and replaced by a three fountain complex with three brick piers which listed the names of Evanston residents who died in the wars, starting with the Civil War and ending with the War in Viet Nam.

War Memorial, dedicated in 1976, in honor of the Bicentennial.

The tallest pier, in the center, lists those who died in World War Two, the pier to the left lists those who perished in the Civil War, Spanish American War and World War One.  The pier on the right list those who died in the War in Viet Nam.
This fountain complex is now in disrepair, and plans are underway to rebuild the Memorial and restructure Fountain Square.